Sun, Moon, and Stars: CKSci Teacher Guide
Sun, Moon, and Stars Teacher Guide provides detailed a lesson plan for each day of science study. The TG contains links to the CKSci Online Resources Guide, which gives teachers additional science and teaching strategies such as virtual field trips, simulations, still images, and videos. It also contains strategies for teaching core vocabulary as well as suggestions for using language of instruction. The TG has reduced full-color Student Book pages for handy reference, activity page masters, assessments, features on knowing the science, and connections to appropriate sections of the Next Generation Science Standards Performance Objectives and the three dimensions of learning.
A key concept underlying Sun, Moon, and Stars is to build understanding of the predictable patterns of the apparent movements of the sun, moon, and stars. These patterns can be studied and predicted to tell where the objects will be in the sky at any given time.
There are two types of teaching days.
- On instructional days, you should conduct full lesson segments from this unit.
- On reporting days, you take only a few minutes to record students’ observational data, which will be collected over time to analyze later for patterns.
During extended reporting periods, you will likely also turn your attention to teaching other science units.
This activity-centered approach requires, at times, that schools collect or purchase materials and equipment that will be needed to complete activities. Click here to see a complete materials supply list for Sun, Moon, and Stars.
- Student book: engagingly written text with many color illustrations, maps, vocabulary sidebars, and a glossary
Preview the Book
Download this CKSci Teacher Guide in its entirety in PDF form.
- Sun, Moon, and Stars Homeschool Set:
1 Student Book
1 Teacher Guide
- Sun, Moon, and Stars Classroom Set:
25 Student Books
1 Teacher Guide
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci) is a comprehensive program covering life science, earth and space science, physical science, and engineering design practices.
CKSci Student Books offer engagingly written text with many color illustrations, photographs that presents scientific information in an ongoing phenomenon-based story. Student Books are designed to be read aloud by the teacher to the students.
Using CKSci in the Classroom
- For Language Arts: You can also use CKSci to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. Reading in the sciences provides background content knowledge that aids in reading across all disciplines.
CKSci Retail Prices
Download a listing of CKSci single copy retail prices.
8.5 in. W x 11 in. H