Weather Patterns: CKSci Teacher Guide
Weather Patterns, introduces Kindergarten students to the sun and sunlight as a source of heat on Earth as well as effects caused by this heating, such as weather and weather patterns. Students will learn about effects of sunlight on earth materials, engage in the design process to develop ways to reduce the heating effect of sunlight, learn to identify weather and weather patterns, and predict types of severe weather. Students will further investigate weather, and how different regions experience weather in Grade 3 Unit 4 Weather and Climate. Students will further investigate weather interactions with Earth in Grade 5 Unit 3 Modeling Earth’s Systems.
Students explore and solve problems related to the factors that affect changes in weather. Students explore concepts that include the following:
- Sunlight from the sun warms Earth’s surface. Different earth materials warm up differently because of sunlight. Areas covered by shade created by shadows are cooler than areas in direct sunlight.
- The effects of sunlight on materials can be reduced by using shade. Engineers build and test models to find out if their designs will work in the real world. Data can be collected and analyzed as part of the testing process. Other engineers can help identify strengths and weaknesses of a design.
- Weather observations recorded over time can be analyzed and used to notice patterns in the weather. Weather data can be observed, collected, and analyzed over months and seasons for use in predicting monthly and seasonal patterns. Daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonal weather patterns can be used to forecast weather.
- Weather can be severe. People can respond to severe weather warnings and plan in the event of severe weather.
This activity-centered approach requires, at times, that schools collect or purchase materials and equipment that will be needed to complete activities. Click here to see a complete materials supply list for Weather Patterns.
- Student Book: engagingly written text with many color illustrations, maps, vocabulary sidebars, and a glossary
Preview the Book
Download this CKSci Teacher Guide in its entirety in PDF form.
- Weather Patterns Homeschool Set:
1 Student Book
1 Teacher Guide
- Weather Patterns Classroom Set:
25 Student Books
1 Teacher Guide
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci) is a comprehensive program covering life science, earth and space science, physical science, and engineering design practices.
CKSci Student Books offer engagingly written text with many color illustrations, photographs that presents scientific information in an ongoing phenomenon-based story. Student Books are designed to be read aloud by the teacher to the students.
Using CKSci in the Classroom
- For Language Arts: You can also use CKSci to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. Reading in the sciences provides background content knowledge that aids in reading across all disciplines.
CKSci Retail Prices
8.5 in. W x 11 in. H