Our Five Senses: CKSci Teacher Guide
In this unit, students will identify the body’s five different senses—seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and touching. Students will explore what body parts are involved in each of these senses and experience how the senses interpret their surrounding environment. Students will also learn how we take care of the different senses and that certain devices can enhance or change how the senses work.
Over the course of the unit, students will explore each of the five senses by following a young girl and her aunt at a carnival. The sights, sounds, and smells of an exciting place is the springboard by which each of the five senses is explored. Then, students take a trip to an eye doctor and learn about how glasses can help people whose vision is not what they want it to be. The unit Our Five Senses provides students the opportunity to explore concepts that include the following:
- What are human senses?
- What is vision, and what body parts allow us to see?
- What is hearing, and what body parts enable us to hear?
- What are scents, and how do we smell them?
- How do we detect the taste of food?
- How do our bodies sense contact?
- How can we take care of our senses?
This activity-centered approach requires, at times, that schools collect or purchase materials and equipment that will be needed to complete activities. Click here to see a complete materials supply list for Our Five Senses.
- Student Reader: engagingly written text with many color illustrations, maps, vocabulary sidebars, and a glossary
Preview the Book
Download this CKSci Teacher Guide in its entirety in PDF form.
- Our Five Senses Homeschool Set:
1 Student Book
1 Teacher Guide
- Our Five Senses Classroom Set:
25 Student Books
1 Teacher Guide
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci) is a comprehensive program covering life science, earth and space science, physical science, and engineering design practices.
CKSci Student Books offer engagingly written text with many color illustrations, photographs that presents scientific information in an ongoing phenomenon-based story. Student Books are designed to be read aloud by the teacher to the students.
Using CKSci in the Classroom
- For Language Arts: You can also use CKSci to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. Reading in the sciences provides background content knowledge that aids in reading across all disciplines.
CKSci Retail Prices
8.5 in. W x 11 in. H