Exploring Land and Water: CKSci Teacher Guide
In Exploring Land and Water, the guiding phenomenon is to experience different landforms to gather evidence of how events change Earth’s surface. The unit builds on student understandings about changing environments and weather patterns from the Kindergarten Performance Expectation K-ESS2-2, in which students explore how plants and animals change the environment. The unit also develops new understanding of Performance Expectation K-PS3-1, in which they learn about weather patterns and the effects of wind and water on land.
Students explore and solve problems related to the factors that affect the surface of the land. Students explore concepts that include the following:
- Hills, mountains, valleys, rock arches, plains, geysers, volcanoes, sand dunes, and beaches are types of landforms.
- Quick changes to landforms include rockslides, landslides, mudslides, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.
- Wind and water can erode rock, sand dunes, and beaches.
- There are different solutions to prevent water from changing the shape of rock and to prevent sand erosion.
- Glaciers are frozen forms of water.
- Flowing water moves earth materials.
- Maps are used to help locate things in nature.
This activity-centered approach requires, at times, that schools collect or purchase materials and equipment that will be needed to complete activities. Click here to see a complete materials supply list for Exploring Land and Water.
- Student Book: engagingly written text with many color illustrations, maps, vocabulary sidebars, and a glossary
Preview the Book
Download this CKSci Teacher Guide in its entirety in PDF form.
- Exploring Land and Water Homeschool Set:
1 Student Book
1 Teacher Guide
- Exploring Land and Water Classroom Set:
25 Student Books
1 Teacher Guide
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci) is a comprehensive program covering life science, earth and space science, physical science, and engineering design practices.
CKSci Student Books offer engagingly written text with many color illustrations, photographs that presents scientific information in an ongoing phenomenon-based story. Student Books are designed to be read aloud by the teacher to the students.
Using CKSci in the Classroom
- For Language Arts: You can also use CKSci to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. Reading in the sciences provides background content knowledge that aids in reading across all disciplines.
CKSci Retail Prices
Download a listing of CKSci single copy retail prices.
8.5 in. W x 11 in. H