Properties of Matter: CKSci Teacher Guide
Properties of Matter Teacher Guide contains links to the CKSci Online Resources Guide, which gives teachers additional science and teaching strategies such as virtual field trips, simulations, still images, and videos. It also contains strategies for teaching core vocabulary as well as suggestions for using language of instruction. The TG has reduced full-color Student Book pages for handy reference, activity page masters, assessments, features on knowing the science, and connections to appropriate sections of the Next Generation Science Standards Performance Objectives and the three dimensions of learning. All materials may be freely downloaded and previewed in their entirety
This unit introduces Grade 2 students to real-world examples and fundamental concepts of properties of matter, which will be explored in greater depth in later grades. Students will learn about observable properties of matter, including the basic states of matter; discover patterns and make predictions based on properties of matter; and explore how heating and cooling can change matter.
Students explore concepts that include the following:
- Different forms of matter exist and can be solid, liquid, or gas depending on the temperature.
- Matter can be described and classified by its observable and measurable properties.
- Different properties of matter are suited to different purposes.
- A variety of objects can be built up from a small set of pieces.
- Heating and cooling a substance may cause an observable change that may or may not be reversible.
This activity-centered approach requires, at times, that schools collect or purchase materials and equipment that will be needed to complete activities. Click here to see a complete materials supply list for Properties of Matter..
- Student Book: engagingly written text with many color illustrations, maps, vocabulary sidebars, and a glossary
Preview the Book
Download this CKSci Teacher Guide in its entirety in PDF form.
- Properties of Matter Homeschool Set:
1 Student Book
1 Teacher Guide
- Properties of Matter Classroom Set:
25 Student Books
1 Teacher Guide
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci) is a comprehensive program covering life science, earth and space science, physical science, and engineering design practices.
CKSci Student Books offer engagingly written text with many color illustrations, photographs that presents scientific information in an ongoing phenomenon-based story. Student Books are designed to be read aloud by the teacher to the students.
Using CKSci in the Classroom
- For Language Arts: You can also use CKSci to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. Reading in the sciences provides background content knowledge that aids in reading across all disciplines.
CKSci Retail Prices
Download a listing of CKSci single copy retail prices.
8.5 in. W x 11 in. H