Focus: In this unit, students will identify several body systems, including the skeletal, muscular, respiratory, circulatory, and nervous systems. Students will explore the different organs, tissues, and cells that are part of each system. Students will also investigate how these systems work in their own bodies.
Students understand that their bodies allow them to do many things, such as moving and breathing. What students may not realize is that their bodies made up of several systems that do different jobs but work together to allow their bodies to function. Students probably are not familiar with how and where the different body systems interact and how each system works to enable people to carry out all human activities.
In this unit, students investigate the human body to answer a question. Students will further explore the human body in Grade 2 Unit 5 Human Cells and Digestion.
Students explore concepts that include the following:
- Observe, experience, and describe variations in human motion.
- Identify and describe parts of the skeletal, muscular, respiratory, circulatory, and nervous systems.
- Summarize the function of each system.
- Relate the structure to the function of each system.
- Identify careers that help people move their bodies for safety and strength.
- Describe technologies that support adaptive movement and fight diseases that limit the ability to move.
Number of Lessons: 7
- Lesson time: Most Core Lessons constitute one classroom session of thirty to forty-five minutes. Some lessons cover two or three days of instruction. Some single-day activities and performance tasks might require setting aside a longer block of time.
- Lesson order: The lessons are coherently sequenced to build from one to the next, linking student engagement across lessons and helping students build new learning on prior knowledge.
- Because Human Body Systems is not designed to support any specific NGSS Performance Expectation, the instructional episodes are not grouped into multipart lessons. As such, they are identified simply as lessons instead of lesson segments.
- Please note that a Pacing Guide is provided within the Teacher Guide so teachers can map out customized instructional days for this unit.
Additional Search Terms:
• body • health • healthful • bone • skeleton • body system • skull • muscle • heart • breathe • lungs • windpipe • blood • blood vessels • heartbeat • brain • nerves • spinal cord • spine • fitness • vaccine • virus • nonfiction • informational text