Available Now: Units for Grades K–5
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci™) is a comprehensive program for elementary science that helps students to
- build knowledge cumulatively and coherently while addressing core ideas in life, physical, and earth/space sciences, as well as engineering design;
- develop scientific practices that give students’ firsthand experience in scientific inquiry, engineering, and technology; and,
- connect scientific learning to concepts across various disciplines, such as mathematics and literacy.
Units in the CKSci program are based on the revised K–5 Science Sequence (2020). The CKSci instructional materials retain and reinforce the proven pedagogy of the Core Knowledge approach. The program provides the student with a firm basis in factual knowledge of the sciences and engineering design. Additionally, this program has been informed by many positive aspects of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Teacher Guides for each unit contain information to quickly reference how the CKSci program is related to the NGSS Performance Expectations.Learn more about the K–5 Science Sequence
Check out the units available for free download:
Note: Additional K–2 Units will be posted as they are completed during the 2020–2021 school year.
- Student Readers: engagingly written to bring the wonders of the world right into your classroom
- Teacher Guides: with detailed lesson plans and activity page masters, including student investigation guides and assessments
- Online Resource Guides: with links to resources that support learning and engagement with the core ideas in science and engineering
See how the K–5 Science Sequence (2020) was informed by the NGSS
The development of the revised K–5 Science Sequence was informed by the pedagogy and framework of the Next Generation Science Standards. By studying and evaluating NGSS documents, Core Knowledge was able to take the best of new science educational thought and apply it to the principles of the Core Knowledge approach.Read more about the Core Knowledge Science Sequence and NGSS
Receive notifications about CKSci!
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay in the know:
The CKSci materials made available for download are freely available for anyone to use, adapt, and share (with attribution), but no one is permitted to sell either the original program, an adaptation of it, or lesson plans that reproduce any part of it. For more information, see the Guidelines to Core Knowledge and the Creative Commons License.