The Core Knowledge Foundation is pleased to announce that we have turned our attention to the development of instructional materials in grades 6-8 for teachers, parents, and students . We are adding these materials to our wide array of comprehensive and downloadable materials for Kindergarten through Grade 5 in language arts, history and geography, and science.
Here is an overview of this multi-year initiative.
Core Knowledge Mathematics
Core Knowledge Mathematics™ is the newest subject-area to be added to the Core Knowledge Curriculum Series™, with our immediate focus on the middle grades in 6–8. Based upon the highly-rated Illustrative Math and Open Up Resources OER curriculum, CKMath offers students the opportunity to develop conceptual understanding and procedural fluency while they work with an adult to apply math in the real world. Comprehensive Teacher Guides support educators in orchestrating productive mathematical discussions and ensuring mathematical success for all students. Available now: Grade 6 Unit 1 Area and Surface Area. Coming Soon: Grade 7 Unit 1 Scale Drawings and Grade 8 Unit 1 Rigid Transformation and Congruence. Additional units in grades 6–8 will be posted as they are completed.
Core Knowledge History and Geography
A total of fifty-two Core Knowledge History and Geography™ units for Kindergarten – Grade 6 are available now for free download. We are currently working on writing both Student Texts and Teacher Guides for a Survey of American History, that is intended for use in either Grade 7 or 8, depending on when American History is taught in each state’s standards. These materials, written by subject matter experts, will cover:
- The First Americans
- European Exploration and Colonization
- The US Constitution
- The New Republic and The War of 1812
- Westward Expansion Before the Civil War
- The Civil War and Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion After the Civil War
- Native Americans: Cultures and Conflicts
- Immigration, Industrialization, and Urbanization
- Social Movements and Reform
- World War I
- The Twenties and the Great Depression
- World War II
- Postwar America and the Cold War, Vietnam, and the Age of Civil Rights
- The United States at Home and on the World Stage
- The Challenges Ahead and Powerful Voices
Core Knowledge Language Arts
Over 100 Core Knowledge Language Arts™ units for Preschool – Grade 5 are available now for free download. We are currently working on the development of eight CKLA Grade 6 units comprised of Student Texts and Teacher Guides which will include a balance of classic and contemporary literature:
- Flying Lessons and Other Stories (Ellen Oh, Editor)
- Calling All Minds: How to Think Like An Inventor (Temple Grandin)
- The Iliad, Odyssey, and Other Greek Stories (Core Classics)
- The History of Ancient Greece and Rome (Core Classics)
- Julius Caesar (Core Classics)
- Ninety Miles to Havana (Enrique Flores Galbis)
- A More Perfect Union (Core Classics)
- Realms of Gold (Core Knowledge Poetry)
The Teacher Guides will be aligned to the Common Core States Standards and will address teaching reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
Core Knowledge Science
Twenty-nine Core Knowledge Science™ units for Kindergarten – Grade 5 are available now for free download. We are currently working on the development of a Grade 6-8 Core Knowledge Science Sequence, analogous to the K-5 Core Knowledge Science Sequence. Once the Grade 6-8 Science Sequence has been completed, we will begin the creation of eight CKSci Grade 6 units comprised of Student Texts and Teacher Guides.
Be sure you are signed up to receive future announcements by registering your email address at “Stay in the Know.”
Keep on eye on the Core Knowledge Blog in the weeks to come for more detailed descriptions of the Core Knowledge Middle School materials!