Core Knowledge History and Geography™
Grades 3 and up (Ages 8–12+)
A comprehensive program in world and American history and geography, integrating topics in civics and the arts, Core Knowledge History and Geography™ (CKHG™) helps students build knowledge of the diverse civilizations, cultures, and concepts specified in the Core Knowledge Sequence.See CKHG Titles By Grade Level for Free Download or Purchase
- Student Readers: richly illustrated and engagingly written
- Teacher Guides: with detailed lesson plans, activity page masters, additional activities, and assessments
- Timeline Cards: visual aids to reinforce big ideas, chronology, and context
Civics and CKHG
Core Knowledge History and Geography curriculum materials aim to prepare students to participate actively in a democratic society. For all CKHG American History titles, every Teacher Guide includes a feature called The Pathway to Citizenship.Read More
CKHG for Social Studies or Language Arts
For Social Studies: Used in their recommended sequence, CKHG materials can form the basis of an engaging Social Studies program that builds historical and geographical knowledge and skills grade by grade.
For Language Arts: You can also use CKHG to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. CKHG objectives are correlated with the Common Core English Language Arts standards, which call for increased reading of nonfiction informational texts. With CKHG, you can take an interdisciplinary approach to reading that provides rich, meaningful, and sustained engagement with informational texts organized in a coherent sequence.
Most CKHG resources are also available in print versions for purchase in our online Store.Download List of CKHG titles
Are the free downloadable resources also available for purchase in print?
Yes! Visit our online Store to order CKHG materials, from single copies of Student Readers, Teacher Guides, and Timeline Cards, to homeschool and classroom sets, to complete grade-level sets (currently available at a 25% discount). Read more…
Can the units be used only at the specified grade levels?
CKHG units are correlated to topics at the grade levels specified in the Core Knowledge Sequence, which allows students in schools following the Sequence to build knowledge grade by grade. In other settings, individual CKHG units may be used as supplemental resources. In general, the content and presentation in the CKHG units for Grades 3-5 are appropriate for young readers from the upper elementary grades through middle school. The content and presentation in the CKHG units for Grade 6 are appropriate for students in Grade 6 and up.
Some units in CKHG seem similar to topics in Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA). If we are using CKLA, do we need CKHG?
If you’re already using CKLA in your classroom, here are three reasons to use CKHG as well:
- To fill in gaps: CKLA explores many, but not all, of the history topics specified in the Core Knowledge Sequence. By adding CKHG, you’ll help your students get a broader, stronger grounding in history and geography.
- To enrich your program: Take a look at the many additional activities you can use from CKHG, including virtual field trips, online videos, literature and art connections, and more.
- To reinforce learning: Between the two sets of instructional materials (CKLA and CKHG), there is some intentional overlap in topics, but in each series students read completely different text. Reading different texts on the same domains during the language arts and social studies blocks can give students repeated exposure to domain vocabulary. See these sample pacing guides for suggestions about how to coordinate the use of both CKLA and CKHG together.
The CKHG materials made available for download are freely available for anyone to use, adapt, and share (with attribution), but no one is permitted to sell either the original program, an adaptation of it, or lesson plans that reproduce any part of it. For more information, see the Guidelines to Core Knowledge and the Creative Commons License.