Human Body Systems: CKSci Teacher Guide
In this unit, students will identify several body systems, including the skeletal, muscular, respiratory, circulatory, and nervous systems. Students will explore the different organs, tissues, and cells that are part of each system. Students will also investigate how these systems work in their own bodies. Students will further explore the human body in Grade 2 Unit 5 Human Cells and Digestion.
Over the course of the unit, students will learn about a young girl, Grace, and the body systems that work together to allow her to perform gymnastics. Each system will be studied in a lesson, but students will learn that all the systems work together to form a healthy, functioning body. The unit Human Body Systems provides students the opportunity to explore questions that include the following:
- What movements can we make our bodies perform?
- What are bones, and how do they work inside the body?
- What are muscles, and how do they work inside the body?
- What body parts are used for breathing?
- What body parts move blood through the body?
- What body parts control the body?
- Who helps athletes and other people stay safe and healthy?
This activity-centered approach requires, at times, that schools collect or purchase materials and equipment that will be needed to complete activities. Click here to see a complete materials supply list for Human Body Systems.
- Student Reader: engagingly written text with many color illustrations, maps, vocabulary sidebars, and a glossary
Preview the Book
Download this CKSci Teacher Guide in its entirety in PDF form.
- Human Body Systems Homeschool Set:
1 Student Book
1 Teacher Guide
- Human Body Systems Classroom Set:
25 Student Books
1 Teacher Guide
Core Knowledge Science™ (CKSci) is a comprehensive program covering life science, earth and space science, physical science, and engineering design practices.
CKSci Student Books offer engagingly written text with many color illustrations, photographs that presents scientific information in an ongoing phenomenon-based story. Student Books are designed to be read aloud by the teacher to the students.
Using CKSci in the Classroom
- For Language Arts: You can also use CKSci to integrate content-rich nonfiction into your Reading/Language Arts lessons. Reading in the sciences provides background content knowledge that aids in reading across all disciplines.
CKSci Retail Prices
8.5 in. W x 11 in. H