Common Core State Standards
The Core Knowledge Foundation supports the common standards initiative. Voluntary standards are "a not-to-be-missed opportunity" for American education. —E. D. Hirsch, Jr. More…
Overview of Core Knowledge Support for the Common Core State Standards: Mathematics
K–8 teachers, administrators
Prior to enrolling in this course, participants should have completed:
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- identify and describe the components of the Common Core math standards;
- summarize the alignment between the Core Knowledge Sequence and the Common Core math standards;
- compare and contrast the spiral nature of math objectives in the Core Knowledge Sequence and the Common Core math standards;
- recognize the role and importance of mathematical practice highlighted in the Common Core math standards;
- identify considerations for addressing Common Core math standards using the Sequence; and
- identify and describe the steps required to align Common Core math standards with supplemental programs used for math instruction.
This overview workshop is intended to familiarize teachers, specialists, and administrators with the Common Core math standards and understand how the Core Knowledge Sequence will help students meet or exceed the standards. Participants will review a detailed alignment document and discuss guidelines for implementing the standards with the Sequence.
This overview can be purchased as part of the Core Knowledge in-service training series.
For addtional details, please contact the Professional Development Coordinator via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (434) 220-3352.