Common Core State Standards
The Core Knowledge Foundation supports the common standards initiative. Voluntary standards are "a not-to-be-missed opportunity" for American education. —E. D. Hirsch, Jr. More…
Locate a Core Knowledge School Near You!
Our interactive map will help you to easily locate and connect with Core Knowledge schools across the country. More…
Assessment and Planning to Address Children's Learning Needs
Instructional personnel, administrators
2 days (6 hours/day)
Upon completion of the Assessment & Planning training, participants will be able to:
- identify different purposes of assessment;
- identify characteristics of effective assessment for instructional planning purposes;
- describe the assessment-instruction cycle;
- demonstrate the use of effective direct observation skills in completing anecdotal records;
- describe and develop the following types of assessment tools for selected objectives from the Preschool Sequence: focus questions, checklists, webs, participation charts, activity probes, portfolio collection; and
- use the Core Knowledge Preschool Assessment Tool (CK-PAT) to gather data, generate various reports, and plan for individual students.
This unit introduces participants to relevant research and theory, introduces and instructs the participant in the CK-PAT, and demonstrates effective assessment tools. 60% of course time is devoted to whole group presentation, and 40% to small group interaction.
Learn more about scheduling a workshop.
For addtional details, please contact the Professional Development Coordinator via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (434) 220-3352.