Core Classics Series
Faithful to the style, plot, and themes of the originals, Core Classics are helpful classroom editions of the literary works listed in the Core Knowledge Sequence. More…
CKLA Is Online for Free
From student activity books to teacher guides, everything needed for preschool–third grade and several units from grades 4–5 are fully available for free using the CKLA Download Manager. More…
Core Knowledge History and Geography (CKHG)A comprehensive program in world and American history and geography, integrating topics in civics and the arts
- CKHG helps students build knowledge of the diverse civilizations, cultures, and concepts specified in the Core Knowledge Sequence.™
- CKHG unit components include
- Student Readers—richly illustrated and engagingly written
- Teacher Guides—with detailed lesson plans, activity page masters, and assessments
- Timeline Cards—visual aids to reinforce big ideas
- FREE—Download CKHG now! Currently available materials are available for free download. New units will be added when ready.
When will new units be available?
Are printed books available?
Not yet, but soon. We are arranging to print CKHG books but want you to have access to the downloadable versions now.
Some units in CKHG seem similar to topics in CKLA (Core Knowledge Language Arts). If we are using CKLA, should we skip the comparable CKHG unit?
Between the two sets of instructional materials (CKLA and CKHG), there is some intentional overlap in topics, but in each series students read completely different text. Reading different texts on the same domains during the language arts and social studies blocks gives students greater opportunity for frequent, repeated exposure to domain vocabulary and concepts, thereby reinforcing learning.
Can the units be used only at the specified grade levels?
CKHG units are correlated to topics at the grade levels specified in the Core Knowledge Sequence—so, for teachers and schools following the Sequence, the units are organized so as to help students build knowledge grade by grade. In other settings, individual CKHG units may be used as supplemental resources. In general, the content and presentation in the CKHG units for Grades 3-5 are appropriate for young readers from the upper elementary grades through middle school.